Red Cross Volunteer Opportunities
Serve the City has been pleased to support the work of the Red Cross’ Migrant and Asylum work in Luxembourg through a number of events over the past year. The Foyer Don Bosco, a residential centre for asylum seekers, is looking for regular volunteers to help keep their important and appreciated services running.
If you think you could fill any of the following roles, please email Almyra and she will put you in touch with the right people. Her email is: almyra (at) servethecity.lu
Volunteer positions to be filled at the Foyer Don Bosco:
1. Knitting group: Tuesday and Thursday 18:30 – 20:00
Volunteer should have a basic knowledge of knitting (most of the female participants know how to knit, but enjoy sharing ideas and receiving tips). The volunteer will also be responsible for taking the role-call of the women present each time.
2. Someone to go Zeeman (or other low priced shop) and buy yarn and knitting needles as needed. Paid for by the Red Cross (they have received specific funding for this project).
3. Music / Choir group: Fridays 15:00 – 16:30.
Volunteer should have musical knowledge; singing and playing an instrument. The residents meet weekly and sing a variety of international songs and share cultures through music.
4. Arts and Crafts Activity: bi-weekly Wednesdays 15:30 – 17:30
We are looking for one support volunteer for each session. You’ll be sharing your crafty ideas, enjoy getting your hands messy, and giving assistance to others. Are you skilled in a specific area i.e. quilting, pottery? Maybe you’d like the opportunity to teach it to others? We’d love to hear!
5. Clothes Distribution: Wednesdays 14:00 – 16:00.
The residents of Dom Bosco may visit the in-house clothes shop only once every 4 months. Volunteers are there to aid the residents in choosing wisely what they and their families will need in the months to come. The hour the shop is open can become chaotic and the volunteers need to be good at staying organised and resolving conflicts calmly.
6. Writer: Someone with strong writing skills to write articles about the existing programs in place for the residents in French and German, and to re-write volunteer job descriptions
7. Children’s Activity: Tuesdays 14:30 – 16:30
Each Tuesday afternoon the children are invited to a couple hours of focused time just for them. What happens varies each time from games and sports to arts and crafts. The Foyer Don Bosco is looking for a support volunteer with the potential to run the activity in the absence of the regular worker. Volunteers should be at ease working with children and have a passion for their well-being.
8. Start up a cross-stich group – Similar to knitting volunteer (above).